Wednesday, August 9, 2017

goodbye summer, hello school

Today was the girls' first day back at school.  I feel like our summer vacation flew right by, but in all honesty, I'm eager to get back into a routine.  And so are the kids!

We made some great memories this summer.

strawberry picking


parks


family


parades


family walks


a yard sale


a trip to Chicago {to submit our adoption profile!!!}


lazy days at the pool


not-so-lazy days at the splash pad


the beach


learning new skills ;)


and testing the limits.


As a farewell to summer vacation, we spent some time at the Indiana State Fair.  The kids had so much fun, especially checking out all of the animals.


Despite all of our fun adventures, the girls were ready to start a new one: school!  I can't believe I have a 1st grader and a 4th grader.


To say that they were excited to start the day would be an understatement.  When I walked out of my room at 7:15, the girls were dressed, their beds were made, their backpacks were prepped, and their lunches were being packed!  I'm excited for them -- I know they'll be in good hands.


After the girls hopped on the bus, I got to spend the day with this cute boy!


He "helped" me harvest our peaches.  YUM!


I felt a bit like Suzy Homemaker as I simultaneously canned peaches, washed the dishes, did the laundry, and tidied my kitchen... but it was a good day.


With an hour to go before the bus would arrive, I baked some chocolate chip cookies for our traditional "first day cookie chat."  {I LOVE hearing about their first day as we devour warm, gooey cookies!}  The girls filled me in on all of the details of the day -- where they sit on the bus, who they sit next to at school, what they did at recess, etc.  Given the fact that they're both chatty girls, I'm pretty sure they would have told me all of those things anyway, but the cookies are a nice perk!


Just 26 more sleeps until this sweet boy starts preschool.  I think he's ready!

No comments: