Monday, April 17, 2017

thoughts on Easter

This year we chose to celebrate a little differently.  We skipped the egg hunts, bunnies, and baskets and instead made a special effort to observe Holy Week.  And what a difference it made!  Each night before bed we held a short devotional where we talked about the event of Jesus' life that occurred on that day.  The girls asked meaningful questions.  They cried when we talked about the crucifixion.  And they learned that joy still came in the morning.

 

Although Easter came a little later this year, I appreciate the extra time I've had to ponder and prepare for this special day.  Since we missed most of General Conference while we were in D.C. I've been reading the talks online, which always adds a spiritual boost to my day.  Then a few days after we returned from our trip, my mom and I went to a women's conference {Time Out For Women} where we listened to uplifting talks and musical performances.  I recorded some thoughts and impressions in a little notebook during the conference and have been trying to keep them in the forefront of my mind.


As I entered the conference I wasn't expecting much.  But that weekend away from all of my responsibilities as a wife and mother gave me the time {and the quiet} I needed to refocus on the things that are important.  I walked away knowing that my ministry -- right here, right now -- needs to be these guys:
 


The world we live in can be so unkind, unsafe, and unforgiving.  But MY world {my family} will not be.  Now is the time for me to teach them to be the difference.  I'm so fortunate to be able to stay home with my littles, ministering to them day in and day out, and relying on grace when I fall short.



Lately I've thought a lot about grace.  What a gift it is to know that even if when I make mistakes I'm not cut from the team.  In fact, I'm loved and cherished more than I could possibly fathom.

 
   
All this time I've been so concerned about how I can possibly pay Him back.  How do you show your gratitude for such an amazing gift?  What currency could satisfy the debt? 

“{Become} as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.” 
-Mosiah 3:19, The Book of Mormon

I can let Him mold me into the person He needs me to be.  I can live like He would live.  I can teach my children where to find Him so they know how to find light in a world full of darkness.


I am so grateful for this Easter season and the reminder that because He lives, we can live too.


No comments: